i miss sleepovers. in high school my friend joanna was the queen of sleepovers. she was the best because she was friends with EVERYBODY (excellent homeskillet behavior, in my opinion).
i was going through some high school photos and found one taken at an awesome joanna sleepover– and the thought occurred to me– i want to do this again. i want to be silly for just one night with a bunch of friends– then i thought i can do this! and i’ll include all the things i love!!!
i love pop music. i love dancing terribly in my living room. i love cupcakes of all kinds. and i love, love, love ’80 movies.
my happiness hits an all time high if i can combine ALL of these things– creating a fantastic explosion of tomfoolery, bad hair, awesome tuneage, and sugar– throw in a sleepover with a couple of sweet friends and it’s the makings of a great night. so, here’s an invitation to be a teenager just one more time.
i’ve come up with my favorite sleepover combos — ’cause if this is gonna go down– me and my homeskillets are gonna kick it old skool.
1. ferris bueller’s day off + culture club + mellow cream cupcakes = matthew broderick’s best performance / i’ll tumble 4 ya / because ferris keeps it super cool under pressure
2. say anything + whitney houston+ midnight magic cupcakes= lloyd dobler awesomeness (john cusack rocks) /how will i know/ these are a perfect tribute to lloyd and diane’s first date
3. princess bride + peter gabriel + wedding cake cupcakes= the most perfect fairytale ever/ your eyes/ because buttercup and wesley heart each other forever and ever
4. dirty dancing + michael jackson +texas milk chocolate cupcakes= patrick swayze, the lift, and “no one puts baby in a corner”/ rock with you/because mr. swayze was a gift from the lonestar state.
5. teen wolf + olivia newton john + hot fudge sundae cupcakes= van surfing and awesome over-the-top basketball stunts / physical/ just because these sound awesome
6. karate kid + a-ha + tiramisu cupcakes= daniel larusso, mr. miyagi, cobra kai dojo– need i say more/ take on me/ because “tiramisu” and “miyagi” are fun to say together
7. some kind of wonderful + the human league + top hat cupcakes= wonderful teenage angst, rich vs. poor, watts gets the diamond earrings/ don’t you want me/ high society cakes for consumption
8. the breakfast club + simple minds + red velvet cupcakes= brat pack awesomeness /don’t you forget about me/because the best deserve the BEST
9. heathers + devo + rocky road cupcakes= mean girls and how to deal with them/ whip it/ because being mean ain’t easy
10. goonies + daryl hall & john oates + ginger bread cupcakes= chunk spilling his guts, a baby-faced sean astin kissing the girl, one-eyed willie’s treasure/ your kiss is on my list/to honor the “bread crumbs” they followed to find the gold
here’s to a SAH-weet sleepover!